Monday, September 20, 2010

re: the shack

The Shack.

What an amazing book! I know that there has been much controversy over this book, at least in the Christian world.

I'll admit...at first I thought that the book was weird. In fact, I still see it as odd. But it was one of those books that you couldn't put down. It was a rather "deep" book - one that you really had to pay attention to and concentrate while reading.

At first, I was a bit bothered by the way God, well actually, the Trinity was depicted in the book. God was a big black woman that was called "Papa", Jesus is a middle aged Hebrew man, and the Holy Spirit is an Asian woman named Sarayu.

But the more I read, the more I liked the book.

It put a whole new spin on grief for me.

:) I don't want to give too much away - but if you haven't read it, I'd give it a chance. It's different but I think it's definitely worth a read.

2 comments:

The Blue Sparrow said...

This is one of my favorite books! I re-read it after Bryston too and found so much comfort in the message weather its biblacly accurate or not, it's still an amazing book!

Radiant Readhead said...

I am so happy you liked it! I was actually quite pleased by the way they were depicted, because the way they explained WHY they were being seen like that. I believe if it was you or i, then we may see them differently, in a way that comforted us. My biggest problem is that churches and pastors were telling people to disregard the book because people were taking it for gospel. Why shouldn't we take it as truth? it was based off of one man's experience....just like ALL of the bible is based off of!!!!1 Then I got the the part when the trinity was explaining the problem with orginized religion, and it made complete sense why churches snubbed the book. I HOPE someone opens their eyes and sees how PROFOUND this book is. NO MAN could come up with all of that WITHOUT divine inspiration. I wonder who is in charge of adding books to the bible, because i feel they need more modern accounts of divine inspiration. God's story did not end with the death of Jesus, if anything it just started!

Total Pageviews

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved